hit counter script Majors and Minors: Review: 'V' from Live

Majors and Minors

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Review: 'V' from Live

I love the intensity of their lyrics, especially their view of love and life. Yes, it can be rather negative, but it's realistic. Love is a battle, to be fought for by soldiers; it is something powerful, outside of time and space; it is something that overcomes and drowns.

'Overcome' is an all-time favorite song, showing the versatility and flexibility of this band. This song, unlike the typical Live song, is beautifully serene and calming, written in a minor key, with the piano as the primary instrument. The mood created by the music is the perfect backdrop for the lyrics, "I am overcome... holy water in my lungs... this beautiful drowning..."

Many songs on this record are what I would so eloquently refer to as "angry music." But, in my mind, Live can get away with chaotic hard rock and screaming. Even in the midst of their shouting, they maintain an artistic hue and a depth that other "angry music" fails miserably to achieve.


Click here to e-mail me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home